For the following Drugs:
*ITLC-Silica Gel Strip
*Whatman 3MM Strip
MCA or SCA or Scaler with scintillation well
*Alternative media and solvents may be suitable. Use of other solvents and medium must be validated before routine use.
1. See General QC Procedure. Spot the sample 1 cm from the end of each strip.
2. To develop the strips, place the Whatman 3MM strip in acetone and the ITLC-SG strip in 0.9% Saline.
3. Allow the solvent to migrate to the ink spot/line at top of the strips.
4. Remove strips from solvents.
5. Cut each strip at cut line above origin.
6. Count each section of both strips, keeping track of which section belongs to which solvent.
Acetone: Top: Free Tc-99m
Bottom: Tagged drug and hydrolyzed-reduced Tc-99m
Saline: Top: Free Tc-99m and tagged drug
Bottom: Hydrolyzed -reduced Tc-99m
Acetone: % free Tc-99m = (top counts)/ (bottom counts + top counts) X 100
Saline: % HR Tc-99m = (bottom counts)/ (bottom counts + top counts) X 100
% tagged radiopharmaceutical = 100- (% free Tc-99m + % HR Tc-99m)
USP Minimum Acceptable Purities: